Housing Search and Stabilization
Helping Families and Individuals Find and Maintain Housing
2625 Zanker Road, San Jose, CA 95134-2107
(408) 325-5277, Fax: (408) 944-0200
Description and Services for Those Who Need Housing:
Catholic Charities Housing Search and Stabilization Program works to help individuals and families find safe, stable and appropriate housing. By enrolling in our program, you can receive:
- Individualized assessment of housing needs
- Listings of current available and affordable housing tailored to your specific needs
- Help finding a landlord who will offer shared housing
- Information and education on how to present yourself to a landlord, how to be a good tenant, how to fill out a rental application, etc.
- One-on-one budget counseling
- Financial Education Classes as a first step towards credit repair, and open an Individual Development Account
- On-going support once you are housed! Rental assistance as available, landlord/tenant mediation and case management
Rental prices for shared housing units generally range from $400-$600 per month. Studios and apartments vary widely in rent depending on subsidy, size of unit, etc.
Description and Services for Landlords:
For over 30 years, Catholic Charities has been screening and placing appropriate clients in houses and apartments in Santa Clara County. As a landlord enrolled in our program, you benefit by:
- Free publicity for your vacancies
- Thorough assessment of all applicants
- Financial education for applicants with poor credit
- Access to rental assistance/ deposit assistance
- On-going support for any issues encountered
Description and Services for Shared Housing Providers:
- Receive help with formalizing a shared housing rental agreement
- Help with service exchanges if you are willing to rent a room for less in exchange for help around the house, yard, etc.
Eligibility and Requirements: Very low-/low-income families and individuals or single parents with children; housing seekers must earn less than 80% of the County’s area median income. Please call us if you have questions about whether you qualify.
Waiting List: None. The time it takes to find housing, a room to rent, or a housemate depends on the amount of time and energy the client puts into making calls and interviewing the participants in our program.
Hours and Availability: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Geographic Area Served: Santa Clara County
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish, and Vietnamese