Activity Assistant (2017-142)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Status: Per Diem
POSITION SUMMARY: This position promotes, supports, and facilitates effective service delivery for the dependent seniors at the Day Break adult day care center in San Jose.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide direct care and supervision of Adult Day Care Center clients; assist clients in daily activities such as hygiene [including to taking participants to the restroom], meals and ambulation.
2. Offer companionship and reassurance to clients.
3. Encourage client involvement in social, recreational, health promotion, and cognitive stimulation activities.
4. Lead and participate in activities along with clients; conduct small group activities and exercises.
5. Document client participation, health status, etc. on a daily basis.
6. Maintain clients’ self-respect and dignity, keeping personal matters confidential.
7. Promote a warm, friendly, and safe program environment for the clients.
8. Prepare monthly activity calendar and schedule of special events.
9. Support other staff members and volunteers on the program floor.
10. Assist with inventory, maintenance, and storage of program equipment and supplies.
11. Inform Program Supervisor of any client problems or suspected physical abuse.
12. Assist in operating and maintaining facility within state licensing standards and requirements when the Program Supervisor or Program Director of Caregiver Services is unavailable.
13. Assist Program Supervisor in all Adult Day Care Center duties as needed.
Equivalent education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job may be considered.
Education: High school diploma required. Associate’s Degree in Recreational Therapy, Human Resources, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work or related field preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum one year’s experience in indirect care, experience in customer service, experience working with seniors.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. English required
2. Excellent organizational skills / Ability to multi-task
3. Strong interpersonal skills
4. Effective communication skills (verbal, written and public speaking)
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior management, staff and volunteers
6. Self starter with high energy level and desire to succeed in chosen career path
7. Comfort with high degree of confidentiality mandated by working with client population
8. Health screening and TB test as required by state licensing
9. Fingerprint and FBI clearance as required by state licensing.
10. Minimum of 8 hours a year of documented training as required by state licensing.
1. Ability to drive; valid CDL and auto insurance per agency requirements.
2. Ability to walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time.
3. Ability to assist dependent elders in safe transfers
Office and community settings.
Hours and other conditions:
6 hours, ability to work some weekends.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to email@example.com or via fax to 408-944-0276
Catholic Charities is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons seeking employment are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.
Job Code: 2017-142