Community Organizer FMCI (2018-6)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Full Time Temporary
The Franklin-McKinley Children’s Zone seeks to coordinate existing educational, health, social service, housing, neighborhood and economic development efforts to provide a comprehensive community development approach to cutting poverty for families in the Santee and Fair neighborhoods.
The Community Organizer works as part of a culturally responsive team including staff from Catholic Charities, the Franklin-McKinley School District, the City of San Jose, and local neighborhood organizations and community residents to help initiate and develop the Franklin-McKinley Children’s Seven Trees Family Resource Center. The Community Organizer leads the organizing of other community leaders for the development of their personal agency. The primary purpose of the organizer is to facilitate leadership of community stakeholders to support the improvement of physical and social structures of residents.
OVERVIEW FRANKLIN MCKINLEY CHILDREN’S INITIATIVE (FMCI):
The Franklin McKinley Children’s Initiative (FMCI) is a collaboration of community members, service providers and stakeholders in government and education in the Santee neighborhood in East San Jose, CA. The mission of FMCI is to transform community awareness and generate the political will to create systems changes that enable families and service providers to affect the change necessary to see Santee thrive.
With the vision of an environment where families are supported in becoming self-sufficient, where they can thrive in safe neighborhoods and where all children graduate from high school prepared for college or career, FMCI relies on this strong network of academic, safety, and economic development partners dedicated to supporting at-risk children and their families.
The mission of FMCI is to transform community awareness and generate the political will to create systems changes that enable families and service providers to achieve its vision of preparing youth for college/career through the development of an educational pipeline. Every FMCI child graduates High School ready for College and Career. A mission is to develop a community partnership that supports children from cradle to career through; 1) Community Schools; 2) Safe and Strong Neighborhoods; and 3) Economic Development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct stakeholder engagement directly in the community through knock and talk interviews; 1-1 meetings; focus groups; small group gatherings; plus larger neighborhood meetings and information-gathering sessions;
• Promote grass roots participation among community residents, partnering with them to develop local leadership roles and responsibilities combined with grass roots decision-making and participation processes;
• Assist Project Consultant to re-convene neighborhood organizing groups, including (but not limited to), PACT, the Franklin-McKinley School District, Catholic Charities, National Hispanic University, City of San Jose and Santa Clara County officials, Santee, and other faith groups to explore ways to support existing efforts and bring additional resources to bear to build on the strengths of the neighborhood and its schools. Assist Project Consultant with all meeting tasks;
• Help to complete research and analysis tasks using local data such as, but not limited to the City’s Strong Neighborhood Initiative, the Redevelopment Agency, Work2Future, County Social Services, and U.S. Census data etc;
• Maintain comprehensive, updated data bases;
• Assist Project Consultant to design and produce culturally appropriate informational and outreach materials;
• With full community input, assist Consultant to collect local data and to develop/ maintain a comprehensive, updated asset map of the Santee/Fair community. Utilize city and county resources relating to community organizations, small businesses, congregations, nonprofits, schools, parks, roads, the Family Wellness Court and public safety etc.;
• Research national best practices for neighborhood revitalization; assist Project Consultant to convene Summit Meeting for community members to meet with experts from Chicago’s Shore Bank, The Harlem Children’s Zone, Beacon Schools, PICO, plus similar national groups;
• Collect data and prepare all required reports in a timely manner;
• Attend all required Catholic Charities’, Santee-Fair, and Campaign to Cut Poverty meetings;
• Support the Division’s other activities as required.
SUMMARY OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Code: 2018-6