Program Specialist FRCI (2018-36)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Part Time Temporary
Program Specialist, temporary, non-benefited, part time position, will provide promotion, prevention and early intervention information, resources, and support to families with children prenatal through age 5 through a range of activities focused on school readiness, health, and early literacy. The following are examples of activities: Coffee talks, workshops, neighborhood association meetings, Family Resource Center activities, Baby Infant/ Toddler programs, brief home visits, fairs, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conduct outreach, engagement and education activities with diverse families and community members in identified districts and zip codes independently and with Associate Community Workers ( FRC volunteers).
2. Partner with other organizations, agencies and entities (i.e., faith-based, schools, parent groups) to increase the capacity and knowledge of the entire community on the importance of the first 5 years.
3. Provide information and resources in their community that are culturally, linguistically, and developmentally appropriate;
4. Deliver information and resources to locations within the targeted zip codes that families with young children are known to frequent (i.e., early care and education facilities, community centers, churches and neighborhoods);
5. Help parents and caregivers identify gaps, barriers, and/or issues that interfere with children’s healthy development and readiness to learn; communicating this with Family Resource Center staff; and
6. Inform the community partners and the FIRST 5 Commission, through evaluation and data, of the gaps, barriers, and/or other obstacles families are experiencing in accessing resources, information and services within the focus areas.
7. Using evidence based curriculum, prepare lesson plans and facilitate program session to Inform the community of the long-term benefits to a child who experiences the following activities and support:
• Physical well-being and motor development
• Positive social and emotional development
• A love of and curiosity for learning
• Early Literacy and Oral Language Development
• Cognitive development and general knowledge
8. Provide outreach, engagement and education activities on weekdays, evenings and weekends as needed.
9. Provide outreach, engagement and education activities door-door, in-home, at information tables/booths, small and large group presentations, informative announcements, and one on one interactions with community members at informal community gatherings (i.e parks, schools, home based day cares, parent meeting, faith-based events), and formal organized health/resource fairs.
10. Determine the needs of families to identify the appropriate programs, services and activities.
11. Participate in required trainings and attend team meetings and quarterly trainings, as appropriate.
12. Develop an outreach, engagement and education calendar of scheduled activities.
13. Maintain on-going data collection and reporting forms for all scheduled activities.
14. Complete and submit required monthly data collection and report forms monthly to Program Manager/ FRC Supervisor.
15. Attend Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County trainings, meetings, and events as required.
16. Complete all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must possess a high school diploma or GED; Experience in social services in community settings with families preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Read, write, and speak English; usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation
• Ability to work with diverse workgroups and serve families with diverse economic, social, racial, and cultural backgrounds
• Knowledgeable about local community resources
• Ability to establish and maintain personal and programmatic boundaries while providing supportive services
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic commonality, including value systems and behavior norms
• Experience in working with culturally diverse communities and families
• Demonstrate good writing and organizational skill
• Maintain a professional, confidential work environment
• Knowledge of child development and behavior
• Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task
• Serve effectively as a member of a team internally and externally
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Serve closely with community members from diverse ethnic, social and economic backgrounds, with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate
• Be flexible, proactive, adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
• Be professional, trustworthy, respectful of others, and display a positive attitude
• Knowledge of modern office methods and practices, including filing systems, business, correspondence, presentations and report writing
• Knowledge of the Internet, computer programs, e.g., Microsoft Word, Outlook, Power Point, Excel, etc.
• Fast paced, diverse and dynamic environment
• The service is sometimes physical, requiring setting up for events which may require transporting or lifting cumbersome materials, e.g., easels, flip charts, refreshments, brochures, chairs, tables, etc.
• Must be able to report to service site on a regular and reliable basis
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule, which includes day, evening, weekend, and holiday hours, as appropriate, to coordinate and provide services and activities for families during non-traditional hours
• Able to travel between sites and to attend offsite events throughout the county, as appropriate
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must possess a valid California Driver’s license, reliable transportation and current auto insurance
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
• Clearance of fingerprint background check
• Must have valid TB screening
• Bilingual language capacity in Spanish/English and/or Vietnamese/English language a plus
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 408-944-0276 attn: HR
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
Catholic Charities is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons seeking employment are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.
Job Code: 2018-36