Community Worker - SEEDS, Family Resource Center (2019-19)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Full Time
The Program Associate, Community Worker (CW) is a funded position under the FRC Initiative. The CW will provide promotion, prevention, and early intervention information, resources, and support to families with children prenatal through age 5, focusing on topics, such as, but not limited to; school readiness, physical health, behavioral and social and emotional health, nutrition, and early literacy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide outreach, engagement, and education activities to diverse communities through canvassing neighborhoods, home visits, information tables/booths, small and large group presentations, informative announcements, and one-on-one interactions with community members at informal community gatherings (i.e., parks, schools, family child care homes, coffee talks/cafécitos, faith-based events), and formal organized health/resource fairs.
• Work closely with FIRST 5 and FRC staff to provide best practice and evidence-based models and strategies in the FRC in the following areas, such as, but not limited to:
- Art and creative expression activities,
- Oral language and literacy,
- Motor development and physical activity,
- Opportunities for social skill development,
- Information and referral services,
- Parent education and skill development related to their child’s healthy
- Behavioral, health, and physical screening,
- Health, nutrition, and physical activity, and
- Parent/caregiver volunteer, leadership and advocacy opportunities.
• Explore, link, refer, and leverage FRC programs and services to meet the emerging needs and interest of families.
• Partner with other organizations, agencies and entities (i.e., faith-based, schools, parent groups) to increase the capacity and knowledge of the entire community on the importance of the first 5 years, and the FIRST 5 System of Care and FRCs.
• Provide information and resources in the community that are culturally, linguistically, and developmentally appropriate on the long-term benefits to a child who experiences the following activities and support:
- Physical well-being and motor development,
- Positive social and emotional development,
- A love of and curiosity for learning,
- Early literacy and oral language development, and
- Cognitive development and general knowledge.
• Assist parents and caregivers in identifying gaps, barriers, and/or issues that interfere with children’s healthy development and readiness to learn; and assist them in identifying strategies, programs and services that can be of support to families.
• Inform the community partners and FIRST 5 Commission, through evaluation and data, of the gaps, barriers, and/or other obstacles families are experiencing in accessing resources, information and services within the focus areas.
• Maintain, complete and submit on-going evaluation and data collection and reporting forms.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule to coordinate and provide services and activities for families during non-traditional hours which includes day, evening, weekend, and holiday hours, and school holidays, as appropriate.
Program Associate, Community Worker Page 2
• Assist and support the coordination, mentoring, and professional development of Associate
Community Workers and community volunteers.
• Participate in required trainings and attend Community Worker team meetings.
· Provide training, support, coaching, and technical assistance to licensed family child care providers through the SEEDS Family Child Care Provider program and the FRC. Collaborate with the family child care providers to engage the families and children they serve to access FRC program and services.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
• Minimum of High School Diploma or GED.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in child
development, health sciences, social services, public administration, psychology, or a related field preferred.
• Experience in social services in community settings with families preferred.
• Experience working with culturally diverse communities and families.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
• Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
• Proficient reading, writing, and presentation skills.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain personal and programmatic boundaries while providing
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic
commonality, including value systems and behavior norms.
• Maintain a professional, confidential work environment.
• Knowledge of child development and age-appropriate behavior.
• Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task.
• Serve effectively as a member of a team internally and externally.
• Knowledge of modern office methods and practices, including filing systems, business,
correspondence, presentations and report writing.
• Computer and internet skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Google Apps (Gmail, Contacts, Calendar).
• Ability to set up for events which may require transporting / lifting materials weighing up to 20 pounds
• Be flexible, proactive, adaptable, and able to work in a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Able to manage stressful situations.
• Able to travel between sites and to offsite events throughout the county, as appropriate.
• Bilingual language capacity in Spanish-English, Vietnamese-English, and/or other language a
• May require setting up for events; lifting materials such as flip chart, brochures, chairs and
• Local travel required.
• Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.
• California driver’s license and automobile, insurance as required by the State of California.
• Annual TB screening required.
• Employment background and fingerprinting screening required.
Reports to the Supervisor, Family Resource Center.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as our exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.