Director of Major Gifts (2019-15)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Full Time
Plans, develops and manages a focused program to cultivate, solicit and steward a selected list of major gift prospects targeted for $10,000- $1,000,000 gifts for agency initiatives and the Comprehensive Campaign.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works with the Chief Development Officer to formulate and execute annual plans and strategies for achieving the agency’s major gift goals.
2. Plans, develops and oversees the implementation of individual strategies for donors making gifts at the $10,000, $25,000, $100,000 and higher levels.
3. Manages a portfolio of 100+ major gift prospects, developing and implementing plans for cultivation and solicitation of these prospects in collaboration with board members, appropriate volunteers, agency directors and development managers.
4. Develops a portfolio of Distinguished Giving Prospects by identifying and implementing plans for cultivation and solicitation of these prospects in collaboration with board members, appropriate volunteers, agency directors and senior agency leadership.
5. Conducts 12-14 face to face meetings monthly which move the relationship and gift conversation
6. Uses moves management process for tracking the cultivation and solicitation of gifts relative to all initiatives, including strategy, gift level, solicitation time frame, and records results in Raiser’s Edge.
7. Orchestrates appointments, either for personal solicitation or for volunteers and/or board members to meet with prospects for cultivation of major gifts
8. Actively expands the prospective donor base through prospect identification and research
9. Responsible for raising a specific dollar goal as agreed upon with the Chief Development Officer
10. Responsible for securing lead sponsors for the Golf and Bocce fundraisers
11. Directs acknowledgement of major donors by board and staff, as appropriate.
12. Collaborates with annual fund team for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
13. Prepares reports and follow up with Board members, and others relative to status of fundraising initiatives, pending appointments and all communications with prospects
14. Works as a development team member to promote positive work environment and assists with special events, volunteer cultivation opportunities and refers leads to the Grants Director and the Senior Director of Planned Giving
15. Assists in planning and execution of the Comprehensive Campaign to raise $50 Million to transform the way Catholic Charities serves those in need to alleviate chronic poverty , reduce situational poverty and prevent generational poverty in Santa Clara County
SUMMARY OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
1. Represents the Agency in external meetings, seminars and programs.
2. Monitors aspects of the budget related to assigned activities.
3. Participates in management meetings, agency events and other activities within the general scope and nature of position.
4. Performs other development duties as assigned
(Equivalent education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job may be considered.)
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field and/or completion of a fundraising certification program.
Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible fund raising experience in a non-profit organization
Minimum of ten years of experience managing and engaging volunteers
Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
1. Commitment to the agency’s mission
2. Demonstrated experience with Major Gift cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
3. Achievement oriented. A desire to set challenging objectives for self and others; to meet deadlines; to find better and more efficient ways to do things; and to compete against a self-defined standard of excellence
4. Teamwork and cooperation. The ability to develop cooperation and teamwork within a group or team by cooperating, seeking the input of group members, encouraging their cooperation, keeping them informed, finding ways to reduce conflict within the group and finding solutions that may benefit all involved parties.
5. Reflective, analytical and thorough in thinking in order to develop workable strategies
6. Experience managing volunteers and volunteer programs
7. Strong listening skills
8. Discretion, insight and reasoning
9. Professional presence
10. Strong people skills
11. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal
12. Proficiency in computer usage, including MS Office Suite, Adobe creative suite and Google suite of products.
13. Knowledge and experience with Raiser’s Edge (preferred) or similar fundraising database software.
14. Ability to work effectively with internal and external constituents
15. Social Media proficiency preferred
Ability to work at a desk for extended periods of time.
Personal transportation needed for travel within Santa Clara County with appropriate vehicle insurance
Ability to use a computer workstation.
Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Most work is done in a comfortable office environment.
Valid California driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance
Hours and other conditions:
Hours and days of work will vary according to workload demands; some evening and weekend work will be required. Basic office hours are Monday through Friday, approximately 8:30 to 5:30.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 408-944-0276 ATTN: HR
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.