Peer Mentor - CalWORKS (2019-6)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Part Time Non-Benefitted , 19-24 hours
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: Provides outreach, engagement, support and role modeling for clients participating in the CalWORKs program. In the spirit of the program and by supporting structure, “do whatever it takes” to assist the client in accomplishing his/her goals. The Peer Mentor should have experience in CalWORKs as a participant,
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Communicates with and mentors program clients who have been referred for role modeling, mentoring and assistance in obtaining services and addressing barriers and challenges to employment from the perspective of a program, participant.
• Provide outreach, e.g. going to the appropriate Social Services location to screen and interview potential program participants.
• Accompany clients to Social Services, job fairs and other critical appointments and meetings.
• Models or coaches clients on appropriate behavior in, employment, healthcare, benefit and criminal justice situations.
• Collaborates with CalWORKs’ clinicians, case manager, community outreach manager, psychiatrist, and nurse practitioner.
• Collaborates with client’s Social Services team to coordinate their service provision.
• Refers and supports client participation in AA, NA, NAMI or other support and educational groups to enhance recovery development and social skills
• Leads a general Peer Job Support group
• Complies with professional boundaries in potential dual relationship situations.
• Completes services rendered documents, program notes and other recording requirements to maintain client files.
• Participates in program audits.
• Enters data into AWARDS.
Required education and experience:
• Experience in CalWORKs as a participant
• High school education or GED preferred
• Experience with homelessness, mental health and/or substance abuse disorders and the criminal justice system as an individual
• Experience with consumer advocacy and self-help
• Recovery of mental health and/or substance abuse disorders managed for at least one year
• Bi-lingual skills preferred, e.g. Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, American Sign Language.
• Good oral and written English skills
• Excellent culturally competent, inter-generational, and interpersonal skills.
• Computer skills using Windows
• Meets appropriate background checks.
• Ability to lift 30 pounds
• Valid California driver’s license and personal automobile
• Liability insurance according to agency requirements
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.