Peer Mentor - Golden Gateway (2019-7)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Part Time Non-Benefitted , 16 hours
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: Provides outreach, engagement, support, role modeling, coaching and/or aftercare for older adult clients and their families that are receiving services at community older adult social service and health care programs and participating in the Golden Gateway OA treatment programs. Provides awareness orientation to providers about family and peer needs with respect to wellness, stigma reduction and general health access to services in the community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Participate in team presentations and outreach activities at community senior programs
* Assists with outreach to specific potential enrollees
* Accepts specific referrals and also identifies older adults in community centers, churches, community gatherings and community resources who may qualify for the Full Service Partnership
* Assists therapist/case managers to obtain family member support for participating clients to link them with community treatment services for mental and physical health care, educational programs, financial assistance, part-time employment, housing, advocacy, socialization activities and other services.
* Provides field peer counseling to clients in reducing their isolation or in communicating effectively with their families.
* Accompanies clients to needed services
* Models or coaches clients on appropriate behavior in housing, employment, healthcare, benefit and community situations
* Assists and coaches clients to learn to use public transportation
* Participates in a team environment to provide client support.
* Refers and supports client and family participation in NAMI or other support and educational groups
* Completes services rendered documents, progress notes and records services as required in client files.
* Completes monthly activity reports.
* Other responsibilities as assigned to support specific department/business needs
Required education and experience:
* Experience with older adults with mental health and/or substance abuse disorders as an individual or as a family member
* If a family member, participating in family education programs
* Recovery of mental health and/or substance abuse disorders managed for at least one year
* Bi-lingual skills preferred, e.g. Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Tagalog and/or American Sign Language, etc.
* Good oral and written English skills
* Excellent culturally competent, inter-generational, and interpersonal skills.
* Computer skills using Windows
* Ability to lift 25 pounds
* Valid California driver’s license and personal automobile
* Liability insurance according to agency requirements
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.