Peer Mentor - Reentry Employment (2019-63)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Full Time
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: Provides outreach, engagement, support and role modeling reentry clients participating in the Right Directions program. In the spirit of the program and by supporting structure, “do whatever it takes” to assist the client in accomplishing his/her goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Communicates with and mentors program clients who have been referred for role modeling, mentoring and assistance in obtaining services and addressing court court/probation and parole system requirements.
* Provide outreach, e.g. going to the re-entry resource center to connect with a referral.
* Accompany someone to an appointment for a job application or attend a job fairs.
* Models or coaches clients on appropriate behavior in, employment, healthcare, benefit and criminal justice situations
* Collaborates with Employment Specialists/Employment Representative to support employment preparation and job search activities in a team environment.
* Collaborates with other collaborative partners in the re entry funding for outreach to reentry clients.
* Refers and supports client participation in AA, NA, NAMI or other support and educational groups to enhance recovery development and social skills
* Leads a general Peer Job Support group
* Complies with professional boundaries in potential dual relationship situations.
* Completes services rendered documents, program notes and other recording requirements to maintain client files.
* Completes monthly activity reports.
* Participates in program audits.
* Enters data into AWARDS.
Required education and experience:
* High school education or GED preferred
* Experience with homelessness, mental health and/or substance abuse disorders and the criminal justice system as an individual
* Experience with consumer advocacy and self-help
* Recovery of mental health and/or substance abuse disorders managed for at least one year
* Bi-lingual skills preferred, e.g. Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, American Sign Language.
* Good oral and written English skills
* Excellent culturally competent, inter-generational, and interpersonal skills.
* Computer skills using Windows
* Meets appropriate background checks.
* Ability to lift 30 pounds
* Valid California driver’s license and personal automobile
* Liability insurance according to agency requirements
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.