Sr. Program Financial Analyst (2019-118)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Full time
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: The Sr. Program Financial Analyst will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of general ledger, financial statements, and financial planning and analytics. This position is expected to function with a minimum amount of oversight while performing complex accounting work that require the application of accounting principles and standards to the financial activities of Organization. The position is also responsible for preparing and reporting the annual operating budget, as well as multiple financial forecasts during the fiscal year. This position administers the budgeting tool (Adaptive Insights) for budget development and on-going data maintenance. This role reports to the Controller, with a dotted line to the CFO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial Planning/Analysis Functions
· Conducts financial analyses to monitor performance against budget, labor utilization, bench-marking analysis, and program/cost center sustainability
· Provide analytical support for forward-looking financial and program-related projects
· Responds to inquiries from the CAO/CFO, Controller and Program Directors & Managers regarding financial, /budgetary information and special reporting request.
· In cooperation with the Controller, create monthly financial presentations including explanation of variances and key issues for divisions to monitor
· Ensure accurate accounting of Board Designated, Donor Restricted and Donor Endowment Funds are in accordance with GAAP.
· Monitor and track developments funds by restrictions, by type and by programs and perform the monthly and year to date reconciliation of the receipt, release and balance of restricted funds.
· Create reporting tools in accounting and planning module for easier/faster reconciliations and program performance.
· Collect, analyze and report accurate and timely data to ensure funder and internal reporting is accurate
· Manage special financial projects, including, but not limited to:
· long range forecasting,
· scenario testing,
· key performance indicator tracking,
· trend analyses and operational analyses based on the needs of the program and agency
· Prepare ad hoc analysis and work on special projects as they arise.
· Performs timely and accurate month-end and year-end closing of the general ledger including complex close related activities.
· Performs advanced accounting analysis requiring the application of accounting theories and standards to the financial activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and accounting procedures.
· Produces operating statement, balance sheet, and trial balance for organization as well as other financial statements as required.
· Performs analytical review and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, ensuring transactions are complete and accurate.
· Participates in tasks related to external financial audits, including preparation of supporting documentation for annual financial audit and assisting managers in implementing audit procedures
· Must maintain effective communication across organization lines and has contact with all levels of employees, and Executive & Program staff.
· Maintains standards of confidentiality and a strong commitment to ethical practices.
· Assists Controller and CAO/CFO in other job related duties, including special projects, as assigned
· Other responsibilities as assigned to support specific department/business needs.
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
Ability to manage complex accounting function in a large nonprofit organization
Advanced level of Excel skills
Sound knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as they apply to non-profit organizations and with government accounting and reporting requirements.
Knowledge of an experience in implementing systems, ongoing maintenance and upgrades.
Positive energetic, optimistic attitude and willingness to embrace a “whatever-it-takes” mantra while being a committed strong team player.
Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, working with all levels within the organization.
Demonstrated ability to work in environment that promotes compassion, service and social justice.
Commitment and support for organizational initiatives.
Excellent problem solving skills, presentation skills and leadership skills.
Knowledge of non-profit industry accounting desirable.
The ability to look “outside the box” to develop effective, efficient processes.
2) Minimum educational level:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or an approved related field.
3) Experience required:
Minimum 5 years of experience (it is preferable that a portion of that experience includes non-profit).
4) Physical Requirements:
Talk, hear, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and to reach with hands and arms
Possess the mobility to maneuver throughout the building.
Use a keyboard and computer terminal, telephone and other office equipment
Able to lift up to 20 lbs
Occasional moving of furniture or equipment or office supplies
Normal sitting and walking
Driving for errands and special projects. .
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to email@example.com
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.