Housing Services Coordinator (2019-70)
Company: Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Part time
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: Provides case management/brokerage services with CHDC residents to access medical, educational, social, prevocational, vocational, rehabilitative or other needed community services. Collaborate with the property manager for building safety and community environment. Contacts and collaborates with specific community agency personnel who provide other case management or treatment services for the residents of the housing properties. Advocates for CHDC residents when their tenancy is in jeopardy. Organizes special workshops and tenant activities according to the contract requirements. Provides food resources and collaborates with the service coordination team to obtain food assistance for the building tenants. Provides welcoming office for informal social visits and for private counseling. Assists property manager with inspections and other building needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Collaborates with property manager to obtain information about new tenants in the building and to arrange for an introductory interview.
* Provides information/welcome packets to the property manager to give to applicants or new tenants.
* Communicates regularly with property manager to assure client and building safety including arranging for disaster or emergency exercises.
* Conducts welfare checks and reduces the impact of tenant conflicts according to the building policies.
* Assists tenants with referrals to community resources.
* Requests equipment, supplies, etc. from the property manager in order to maintain services according to the contract.
* Assists clients with applications for financial assistance when faced with evictions from non-payment of rent.
* Advocates for tenants based on lease violations and pending evictions.
* Assists tenants in completing a budget, service plan and contacts with community services to meet rental and utility payment requirements.
* Provides identification of appropriate community resources and consultation to the client regarding those resources.
* Provides consultation in life skills including money management, community service access, etc.in group classes or as individual private consultation.
* Develops social activities and educational events according to contact requirements.
* Provides basic counseling for tenants in a confidential session.
* Sets specific office hours according to the respective contract.
* Obtains food assistance program resources including private and non-profit donations according to the contract.
* Collaborate with volunteers who provide services or assistance at the respective properties.
* Complete self sufficiency matrix with each head of household involved in direct services.
* Records services, maintains client files, completes weekly activity reports and other required documentation.
* Creates an AWARDS record for direct service tenants seeking voluntary assistance for counseling, financial assistance, etc.
* Obtains HMIS intake data and enters HMIS data according to the individual property requirements.
SUMMARY OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
* Attends required training sessions conducted by CCSCC
* Participates in Economic Development Division meetings and work groups
* Other responsibilities as assigned to support specific department/business needs
Required education and experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, counseling or other behavioral science or equivalent
* Minimum of two year’s experience in human services
* Bi-lingual Spanish, Vietnamese or Mandarin language skills preferred
* Good oral and written English skills
* Automobile and valid CA driver’s license
* Auto liability coverage according to the agency requirements
* If an individual is in recovery, five-six years of sustained recovery is required
Knowledge, skills & abilities
* Excellent cross-cultural, inter-generational and interpersonal skills.
* Knowledge of mental health and alcohol, substance abuse and recovery treatment services a plus
* High energy and patience in working with difficult, non-compliant clients.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team.
* Computer skills using Windows
* Culturally competent counseling skills
* Understanding of complex client, community and agency issues and ability to take appropriate action
* Availability to work flexible hours for special events, e.g. evenings until 7:00 p.m.and Saturdays.
HOURS: Full and part-time
HIRING RANGE: Contingent on education, experience and language skills
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.