Therapist II - Children's Counseling (2018-67)
GENERAL NATURE OF POSITION: Provides mental health counseling and case management services to children and their parents with mental health challenges. Family and Children’s Counseling utilizes different treatment modalities and working in conjunction with a child psychiatrist as necessary and appropriate, the staff seeks to help children and families (children ages 6-17) address emotional and behavioral concerns in order to help improve school and home functioning, social relationships, coping ability, and self-understanding. Kindred Souls supervised visitation program seeks to provide children in foster care (0-17), and their families of origin, the opportunity to visit in a “home-like” supervised environment, utilizing therapeutic approaches and interventions to address areas of difficulty in the family relationship.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Conducts intake and continuing assessments of children, youth, parents/caretakers.
* Engages clients and family in counseling sessions using CBT to prevent, reduce and treat behavior problems and improve family functioning.
* Engages clients in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to address severe or emerging behaviors that are trauma related.
* Engages clients using Brief Strategic Therapy to empower youth to improve their relationships and improve overall functioning.
* Develops treatment plans (Transitional Care Plans) for child clients.
* Provides counseling services of children, youths, parents/caretakers.
* May provide in-home counseling and structured behavioral programs to youths and their parents/caretakers.
* Provides case management services to youths and families, parents/caretakers.
* May provide in-home or office crisis intervention services
* Coordinates services with other professionals involved with the children, adults and older adults e.g. teachers, pastors, social workers, probation officers, care takers, physicians, etc.
* Records services, maintains client files in electronic data systems as necessary, including AWARDS (electronic health system) and other required Medi-Cal based tracking systems
SUMMARY OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
* Attends required training sessions conducted by CCSJ or SCC
* Participates in Division and Team meetings and work groups
* Other responsibilities as assigned to support specific department/business needs
Required education and experience:
* MA or MS in counseling, psychology, social work or related field
* Preferred waivered through Santa Clara County and registered as an intern through the Board of Behavioral Services as AMFT, ASW or PCC Intern
* Minimum of one year’s experience working with families and children in a mental health setting.
* Bi-lingual skills highly preferred, Spanish
* Good oral and written English skills
* Automobile and valid CA driver’s license
* Auto liability coverage according to the agency requirements
* Fingerprinting and background check as required by the DOJ, and DMV clearance/TB test
Knowledge, skills & abilities
* Excellent cross-cultural, inter-generational and interpersonal skills.
* Experience with mental health treatment models
* Knowledgeable about child & youth resources and system of care in Santa Clara County.
* High energy and patience in working with clients.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team.
* Demonstrated ability to complete multiple tasks to achieve designated objectives within deadlines.
* Demonstrated computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, and Internet usage)
* Culturally competent counseling skills
* Understanding of complex client, community and agency issues and ability to take appropriate action
* Willingness to embrace change
* Willingness to work with commitment and pride in fulfilling CCSJ’s mission
* Support of implementation of “best practices” and continuous improvement
* Ability to learn about and implement “best practices” and evidenced based clinical skills to include but not limited to cognitive therapy
* Availability to work evening hours
HOURS: Full time, hours scheduled on the basis of client availability and agency operation including evenings
HIRING RANGE: Contingent on license, education, experience and language skills
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 408-944-0276 attn: HR Information about the agency is available on the Web page: https://www.catholiccharitiesscc.org/