The Domus Council
Catholic Charities created The Domus Council to fund more permanent supportive housing services at Charities Housing Sites. Thanks to the generosity of Domus Council members, low-income and homeless people have found safe, affordable and permanent housing.
Members of the Domus Council commit to investing $10,000 or more annually. Domus means “home” in Latin, an appropriate name for a group whose goal is creating more affordable supportive housing for individuals and families living in poverty.
People experiencing poverty have many challenges besides housing. They need multiple “supportive services” to help them remain in housing and become self-reliant.
Why is Permanent Supportive Housing Important?
• It is the first step to breaking the cycle of poverty.
• Supportive services help individuals remain in housing and become self-reliant.
• Permanently housing one homeless individual saves the community $60,000 annually in medical, legal and incarceration costs.
With Domus Council gifts, Catholic Charities helps people obtain and maintain housing by coordinating services such as life skills training, counseling, client advocacy, nutritious food, and benefits assistance.
Catholic Charities needs to expand supportive services to help more residents at Charities Housing.
Benefits of Joining:
- Invitation to annual Domus Council event
- Networking opportunities
- Recognition in Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County Annual Report to the Community